Friday, August 25, 2017

Meet Our New Adjunct Faculty Members!


We Keep on Growing!

The Business Department at Cañada College keeps on growing, and so we have had to hire on some new faculty to keep up. Learn more about some of the new faces you'll be seeing around campus and online!














Janet Laurin- Business Adjunct Professor
I am entering my 15th year of teaching at the community college level. Teaching at this level was my dream while attending community college after high school. Now, as an instructor I truly enjoy the teaching experience--both online and face-to-face.
My education includes a Master of Business Administration and Bachelor of Science in Business Administration. My background includes 28 years of experience in financial and administrative management. I have worked in a wide range of environments, including entertainment (Disney), manufacturing (aerospace), non-profit (AARP), and education (student services). I have also co-owned a small business since 1980.
Teaching is my passion. I have been with the Los Angeles Community College District since 2002. I have also taught at the university level and provided professional development for middle and upper management.
This fall, I will have the privilege of teaching online at Cañada College. As an instructor, I am enthusiastic, approachable, and responsive. I will bring ingenuity to the classroom and
·         Share my passion for business
·         Respect students’ individuality
·         Value participants’ skills, talents, and perspectives
·         Develop lessons that are interesting and relevant
·         Provide an organized learning platform with clear guideline

 

















Brandon Napoli - Business Adjunct Professor
Career:
A son of a community college teacher, I grew up on campus and later attended Cuesta College.  Both experiences planted a dream to teach after gaining over a decade of experience.  In 2006, I started my career in poverty alleviation through supporting underserved entrepreneurs.  That year, Muhammad Yunus was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for his work in microfinance - providing small loans to people in poverty to start and grow their business.  Inspired, I pursued microfinance and learned how access to capital helped entrepreneurs build dignity and create jobs.   After receiving my MBA from SDSU, I joined the Peace Corps in Guatemala.   I assisted the small business development efforts in ecotourism, focusing on providing an alternative income to the subsistence farming.  After returning to the States, I supported entrepreneurs at higher levels.  First, as the Director of Microlending at Valley Economic Development Center – growing the micro lending portfolio to top 5 in the US and testifying to congress on the state of micro lending.  Afterwards, I became the Director of National Microlending Initiatives managing an investment fund for microlenders across the US.  At the end of 2016, I responded to a passion to intersect faith and entrepreneurship and relocated to Palo Alto to start a faith-based coworking space.  
Life:
Passions outside of work include the outdoors, sports, and travel.  I was a three sports athlete in high school (football, wrestling, and tennis) and two in college (track and field and rugby).  I also dabbled in Jiu-Jitsu for several years.  My favorite outdoor activity is bicycle touring - riding days/weeks while camping.  Currently I am getting geared up for a month long trip through Ireland and Italy.  


Brian Bennett- Business Department Adjunct Professor

Brian has 25+ years of management and consulting experience spanning industries including high-tech, medical device, financial services, and public accounting industries. He participated in an IPO and is listed as a co-inventor on three issued patents. Also, Brian competed in the Olympic Games and has worked internationally. In general, his classes are very interactive since the field of business is constantly changing and he will draw upon real life business current events, companies, products, and services to enhance your learning experience. Fun facts - Causes Brian cares about include: inclusiveness, economic empowerment, education, environment, and health. He is an avid hiker and boogie-boarder.  

“There is no education like adversity.” (Benjamin Disraeli)





















Oduro Takyi - Business Department Adjunct Professor

Degrees: MBA, Business Administration, Long Island University, Brooklyn, New York; LLB (Honors) University of Ghana, Accra, Ghana.

Teaching Experience: Foothill-De Anza Community College District, Los Altos, CA (2000 – Present) Cañada College (2017 – Present) University of Phoenix, San Jose, CA (2000 – 2004)

Career Highlights: As a result of teaching prospective entrepreneurs in the Silicon Valley how to write business plans to start their businesses at De Anza College, I decided to start my own management consulting business, The Boardroom Planning Group in San Jose, CA. As the Principal Consultant, I have provided consultation to clients on business planning, financial management, the development of feasibility studies, and product expertise. Clients have included insurance carriers, county and city risk managers, and the State of California Department of Industrial Relations. I have also been a Learning Consultant at the Kaiser Permanente Regional Offices in the Information Technology Division, Walnut Creek, CA where I trained management and their staff and maintained curriculum for a software development initiative.

Passions: (1) Avid reader of numerous John Grisham legal thrillers; (2) Aficionado of CNBC’s ‘The Shark Tank.’ (3) Professional basketball, football and soccer enthusiast.


Favorite Quote: “A little learning is a dangerous thing.” – Alexander Pope.

No comments:

Post a Comment